Saturday, June 4, 2005

Acrobat 7.0 crash and solution

I have been trying to identify and solve a problem with Adobe Acrobat 7.0.
Here's the story...
When starting Acrobat several dialog boxes comes up saying:
'There was an error while loading the plug-in ‘Accessibility.api’. The plug-in failed to initialize.'
Then it follows with these api files same message:
Annots.api
DigSig.api
HTML2PDF.api
Multimedia.api
PKKLite.api

After that Acrobat crashes and says:
'Adobe Acrobat 7.0 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. '

The contents of the error report is:
AppName: acrobat.exe
ModVer: 7.10.3052.4
AppVer: 7.0.0.1333
ModName: msvcr71.dll
Offset: 000017e1

I tried to reinstall and repair Acrobat. Manually deleting files and registry entries. I even reinstalled Windows XP. It worked for a while but at some point Acrobat got this problem. I tried to make a system restore but that didn't help.
I also searched the web for tips but found none that worked.
I called the Adobe technical support and they had no idea. They recommended to install the product with a local administrator user without being in the network domain. I tried that as well.

Finally I found that one in-house installation put AcroForm.api (5.0.0.327) into the system32 folder. When I deleted that file Acrobat started to work as it should.

So if you too run into this make a search for misplaced acrobat files like the one I found. Adobe Reader 7.0 also got some problems because of this file.


Some of the latest blog posts

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:
Powered by FeedBurner