Recently Adobe Acrobat 8.1 was released. One good thing is that a PDF Preview Handler is included so you can look at PDF files directly within Outlook 2007. The viewer is very basic and it is not much you do. I directly missed being able to zoom in and zoom out but a workaround is to resize the message window.
The first time you click on a PDF file it takes a few seconds but after that the viewer fires up in less than a second.
It also works in Windows Explorer
New features in Adobe Acrobat 8.1
New operating system support:
- Windows XP 64-bit edition
- Windows 2003 64-bit edition
- Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit editions
Note: There is a known issue with 64-bit versions of these operating systems which causes the Adobe PDF Printer to not work correctly. Microsoft has released a Hot Fix for this issue which is documented in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article #930627 available at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930627. Adobe has tested and will support the Adobe PDF Printer with this Hot Fix installed.
- Vista Preview Handler: Preview Handler is a new user interface for viewing PDF files in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 on Windows Vista and Windows XP, as well as in Windows Explorer on Windows Vista. Preview Handler must be turned on in both applications.
- Microsoft Office 2007 support.
- PDF printer driver in Vista supports high quality PDF creation.
- PDFMaker Office 2007 PDF Creation.
- Option to create Quick and Simple PDFs from Word 2007.
- New PDFMaker Ribbon UI in Office 2007.
- Mac OS X version now includes Flash MPP for improved support for Flash files with multimedia on Mac OS.
- InDesign Plug-In update supports communication with InDesign for Creative Suites 3.
- Option to print documents to a FedEx Kinko?s office in the USA. English only.
- Direct render of Dynamic forms
- FIPS 140 Support