DWG TrueView 2009 is Autodesk's free viewer for DWG files and is found here: http://www.autodesk.com/dwgtrueview
The big news are:
- Measure objects with these new inquiry commands: Distance, Area, List, Locate Point, Region/Mass properties, and Object Snaps.
- Enhanced UI with the addition of Ribbon Navigation
- Measure objects with these new commands: Distance, Area, List, Locate Point, Region/Mass properties, and Object Snaps
- Navigate drawings in 2D and 3D with SteeringWheel
- Enhanced 3D view selection with ViewCube
- Restore views and play new "animated" views with ShowMotion
It is quite a big install on almost 200 MB for the 32-bit version and bit more for the 64-bit version.
DWG TrueConvert is available from within the program and can convert from and to different versions of the DWG format.
DWG TrueView 2009 can be installed side by side with for example AutoCAD 2009.
Here is a tip I maybe should keep quiet about as I might sell fewer licenses of SmartPurger because of it. You can with some limitations batch purge drawings using DWG Convert as there is an option to purge included and even "Check and Fix Errors" (When active, drawings are checked for the presence of errors. Drawings are automatically recovered if errors are found).
Silent installation of DWG TrueView 2009 could be done with a VBScript like this:
on error resume next
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
runstring="msiexec /I ""\\DWGTrueViewx86InstallImage\DWGVIEWR.msi"" /qb! " & _
"INSTALLDIR=""C:\Program Files\DWG TrueView 2009"" " & _
This previous post describes more details on silent installation.
For more important details like how to handle drawings created with a vertical like AutoCAD Architecture or 3:rd party applications that creates custom objects see the FAQ.